Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Building for the next generation

my beautiful soul-sister and i cling to each other and this truth: that we choose to be different than our parents, and that we can have victory in Him. it is enough. she and i know the faults buried deep inside that are products of broken parents, and she found a verse as her own new family was forming:
After I looked things over, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, "Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes." (Nehemiah 4:14)

the significance was that we are not defending or rebuilding the past; we are staking a claim on and protecting the future.
i grab his hands at night and wrap his arms around me, resting in his warmth and dormant strength. we face our children, sleeping loudly, sharing our nighttime space, the respite from trucks and cheerios and dora and "no," and we protect them, weaving prayer lines, staking our claim. it is enough.

i am doubling my entry for this week's ShoutLaughLove as well as tuesdays unwrapped!

come play! so much shouting, so much laughter


tuesdays unwrapped at cats

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful.

HisFireFly said...

I'm so glad I stopped by today to read your beautiful post..

My husband and I are the only ones from each of our respective families who have made the choice to walk with Jesus. We too have to declare "It is enough"

suzannah | the smitten word said...

this is wonderful, and that is a great verse.

i had a good growing up, but the anger and broken ways of communicating i definitely want to fight against in my home. such a good reminder to be aggressive in prayer for my household, too.

Lara G Williams said...

"staking the claim." I like that. Stake the claim for the promises of God. Nothing can thwart His Word of promise. Good seeing you at "my space" today.