Monday, March 7, 2011

Lines

the lines on his face tell me a poem,
of the three-before-three trips to emergency:
the gentle dog who bit him
the coffee table collision
the tumbling off railroad tie;
another scar where football scramble
was prayed over, no stitches and healed anyway;
his eyes crinkle like a pleated skirt when he laughs
and i wish i'd carved them all myself.
his dimples drew me in, "hoyuelos" i said on an early date
and i trace them every night in my sleep,
kiss those parenthesis, all mine, gentle scruff scratching me.
those furrowing lines of pressure and worry
no botulism could ever straighten out
and i know he holds us in his thoughts, his
high proud forehead
all the time
and i love him for his lines

************
(241-256 of counting gifts with Ann and others on this journey)

so grateful for the love of my life.
for his patience as daddy and
ability to be jungle gym
b/cs i can't.
for his patience and grace with me
and holding my hand always
for his worry for our needs
and his strength to carry it all
for his searching heart
even when i don't understand
and his laugh that literally keeps me sane sometimes
for his work and ethic to work
even when he doesn't like his job
for his urgency in providing
for providing all these little boys
for the love we make and share
and the oasis in a difficult time we were able to have this weekend,
no getaways, just staying, and being present
and connecting in a way we haven't in a really long time
and always, always, the Grace of the Beloved
in providing me with the helpest of mates,
knowing exactly what i needed and desired.



13 comments:

Jodi said...

Is it okay to say I think this is the best thing you've ever written? At least, from what I've read. Let me just say I love it. "His eyes crinkle like a pleated skirt when he laughs." This poem is so relatable. I love my man for his lines, too. True beauty earned by life's hard knocks.

Leslie said...

i love this so so so so much! for the beauty and the love in it. it made me cry... i have a man like this, too. such a miracle to me.

Shelby and Bev said...

beautifully written misty...your love for your man is palpable!
xo

keLi said...

this is beautiful, misty. so awesome that you see him, you really see him. on those days when i really see mine, i'm convinced it's the best glimpse i've been given into that Love that waits beyond this world.

great post.

amy said...

this is awesome. i love it. really. so so beautiful misty.

been missing your words. hope baby is cooking well!

Amanda MacB said...

I absolutely love this - the pleated skirt description and your wish to have carved all the lines - sooo good.

The Farmer Files said...

Visiting you from your comment on Amber's blog. Blessed to be raising warriors for Him, to be called to raise Godly men! Blessings to you!

Kristen said...

Simply lovely.

Nancy said...

Misty my dear! This is just beautiful, and such a God-honoring way to show love and respect for your husband. You do well. So glad you got your oasis. I was just thinking this morning about how grateful I am for my husband's work ethic and especially his willingness to tackle things like doing our taxes! Blessings dear friend (even if you are having spring and I'm not. Yet.)

Unknown said...

oh, this is just so wonderful.
I'm so happy for you.

and I have a miracle of a man ...

talk about gratitude...

Craig said...

I can still comment on Multitude Monday lists on Saturday right? :)

And today this was my fave from your list: ~ in providing me with the helpest of mates (because I’ve never heard it put this way before – I’m gonna steal this at some time in the future – just letting you know) {smile}

Et j'aime le nom de votre blog. C'est vrai nous sommes tout cassés des pots. Dieu vous bénit.

I was blessed by this today. Thank you.

May God watch over and guide you and all of yours.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Just awesome! I have chill bumps and blurry eyes here! Not only was your poem beautiful and breathtaking, but your list of gratitudes. . . I'm sure it warmed God's heart as well as mine! Thank you so much!

Bethany Ann said...

woo hoo! :)